1. Bartlett JG. Clinical practice. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea. N Engl J Med. 2002;346:334–349.
2. Rupnik M, Wilcox MH, Gerding DN. Clostridium difficile infection: new developments in epidemiology and pathogenesis. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2009;7:526–536.
3. Gravel D, Miller M, Simor A, et al. Healthcare-associated Clostridium difficile infection in adults admitted to acute care hospitals in Canada: a Canadian nosocomial infection surveillance program study. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:568–576.
4. Bauer MP, Notermans DW, van Benthem BHB, et al. First results of the European Clostridium difficile infection survey (ECDIS). In: 19th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID); May 16–19, 2009; Helsinki.
5. McDonald LC, Owings M, Jernigan DB. Clostridium difficile infection in patients discharged from US short-stay hospitals, 1996–2003. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:409–415.
6. Muto CA, Pokrywka M, Shutt K, et al. A large outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated disease with an unexpected proportion of deaths and colectomies at a teaching hospital following increased fluoroquinolone use. Inf Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2005;26:273–280.
7. Pepin J, Alary ME, Valiquette L, et al. Increasing risk of relapse after treatment of Clostridium Difficile colitis in Quebec, Canada. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1591–1597.
8. Loo VG, Poirier L, Miller MA, et al. A predominant clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2442–2449.
9. McDonald LC, Killgore GE, Thompson A, et al. An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2433–2441.
10. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Data and statistics about Clostridium difficile
infections. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov
11. Eggertson L. Quebec strain of C. difficile in 7 provinces. Can Med Assoc J. 2006;174:607–608.
12. Kuijper EJ, Barbut F, Brazier JS, et al. Update of Clostridium difficile infection due to PCR ribotype 027 in Europe, 2008. Euro Surveill. 2008;13(31):pii:18942.
13. McFarland LV, Mulligan ME, Kwok RY, et al. Nosocomial acquisition of Clostridium difficile infection. N Engl J Med. 1989;320:204–210.
14. Rivera EV, Woods S. Prevalence of asymptomatic Clostridium difficile colonization in a nursing home population: a cross sectional study. J Gend Specif Med. 2003;6:27–30.
15. Kyne L, Warny M, Qamar A, et al. Association between antibody response to toxin A and protection against recurrent Clostridium difficile diarrhoea. Lancet. 2001;357:189–193.
16. Mayfield JL, Leet T, Miller J, et al. Environmental control to reduce transmission of Clostridium difficile. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:995–1000.
17. Privitera G, Scarpellini P, Ortisi G, et al. Prospective study of Clostridium difficile intestinal colonization and disease following single-dose antibiotic prophylaxis in surgery. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991;35:208–210.
18. Anand A, Glatt AE. Clostridium difficile infection associated with antineoplastic chemotherapy: a review. Clin Infect Dis. 1993;17:109–113.
19. Bliss DZ, Johnson S, Savik K, et al. Acquisition of Clostridium difficile and Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in hospitalized patients receiving tube feeding. Ann Intern Med. 1998;129:1012–1019.
20. Dial S, Delaney JA, Barkun AN, et al. Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease. JAMA. 2005;294:2989–2995.
21. Shah S, Lewis A, Leopold D, et al. Gastric acid suppression does not promote clostridial diarrhea in the elderly. QJM. 2000;93:175–181.
22. Hurley BW, Nguyen CC. The spectrum of pseudomembranous enterocolitis and antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:2177–2184.
23. Kelly CP, Lamont JT. Clostridium difficile infection. Annu Rev Med. 1998;49:375–390.
24. Dallal RM, Harbretch BG, Boujoukas AJ, et al. Fulminant Clostridium difficile: an underappreciated and increasing cause of death and complications. Ann Surg. 2002;235:363–372.
25. Kyne L, Farrell RJ, Kelly CP. Clostridium difficile. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2001;30:753–777.
26. Cohen SH, Gerding DN, Johnson S, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA). Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31(5):431–455.
27. Bauer MP, Kuijper EJ, van Diesel JT. European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID): treatment guidance document for Clostridium difficile infection (CDI). Clin Microbiol Infect. 2009;15:1067–1079.
28. Louie TJ, Miller MA, Mullane K. Fidaxomicin versus vancomycin
for Clostridium difficile infection
. N Engl J Med.
29. McFarland LV. Evidence based review of probiotics for antibiotic-associated diarrhea and Clostridium difficile infections. Anaerobic. 2009;15:274–280.
30. Abougergi MS, Broor A, Cui W. Intravenous immunoglobulin for the treatment of severe Clostridium difficile colitis: an observational study and review of the literature. J Hosp Med. 2010;5:e1–e9.
31. Lowy I, Molrine DC, Ledv BA, et al. Treatment with monoclonal antibodies against Clostridium difficile toxins. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:197–205.
32. Sougioultzis S, Kyne L, Drudy D, et al. Clostridium difficile toxoid vaccine in recurrent C. difficile-associated diarrhea. Gastroenterology. 2005;128:764–770.
33. Herpers BL, Vlaminckx B, Burkharat O, et al. Intravenous tigecycline
as adjunctive or alternative therapy for severe refractory Clostridium difficile
infection. Clin Infect Dis.
34. Garey KW, Jiang ZD, Bellard A, et al. Rifaximin in treatment of recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: an uncontrolled pilot study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009;43:91–93.
35. Musher DM, Logan N, Mehendiratta V, et al. Clostridium difficile
colitis that fails conventional metronidazole
therapy: response to nitazoxanide. J Antimicrob Chemother.
36. Johnson AP. New antibiotics for severe selective treatment of gastrointestinal infection caused by Clostridium difficile. Expert Opin Ther Patents. 2010;20:1389–1399.