1. Peberdy MA, Callaway CW, Neumar RW, et al. Part 9: post-cardiac arrest care: 2010 American Heart Association guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation. 2010;122:S768–S786.
2. Negovsky VA. The second step in resuscitation—the treatment of the ‘post-resuscitation disease’. Resuscitation. 1972;1(1):1–7.
3. Neumar RW, Nolan JP, Adrie C, et al. Post cardiac arrest syndrome. Epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment, and prognostication. A consensus statement from the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation. Circulation. 2008;118: 2452–2483.
4. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics 2009 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation. 2009;119:e21–e181.
5. de Vreede-Swagemakers JJ, Gorgels AP, Dubois-Arbouw WI, et al. Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in the 1990's: a population-based study in the Maastricht area on incidence, characteristics and survival. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1997;30(6):1500–1505.
6. Kitamura T, Iwama T, Kawamura T, et al. Nationwide public-access defibrillation in Japan. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:994–1004.
7. Dunne RB, Compton S, Zalenski RJ, et al. Outcomes from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest in Detroit. Resuscitation. 2007;72:59–65.
8. Nichol G, Thomas T, Callaway CW, et al. Regional variation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest incidence and outcome. JAMA. 2008;300(12):1423–1431.
9. Peberdy MA, Kaye W, Ornato JP, et al. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation of adults in the hospital: a report of 14720 cardiac arrests from the National Registry of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Resuscitation. 2003;58(3):297–308.
10. Fay T. Clinical report and evaluation of low temperature in treatment of cancer. Proc Interstate Postgrad Med Assoc North Am. 1940:292–297.
11. Smith L, Fay T. Observations on human beings with cancer maintained at reduced temperatures of 75–90°F. Am J Clin Pathol. 1940;10:1–11.
12. Benson D, Williams GR, Spencer FC, et al. The use of hypothermia after cardiac arrest. Anesth Analg. 1959;38: 423–428.
13. Safar PJ. Community-wide cardiopulmonary resuscitation. J Iowa Med Soc. 1964;54:629–635.
14. Safar P. Effects of the postresuscitation syndrome on cerebral recovery from cardiac arrest. Crit Care Med. 1985;13(11):932–935.
15. Sterz F, Safar P, Tisherman S, et al. Mild hypothermic cardiopulmonary resuscitation improves outcome after prolonged cardiac arrest in dogs [see comment]. Crit Care Med. 1991;19(3):379–389.
16. Illievich UM, Zornow MH, Choi KT, et al. Effects of hypothermic metabolic suppression on hippocampal glutamate concentrations after transient global cerebral ischemia. Anesth Analg. 1994;78(5):905–911.
17. Bernard SA, Jones BM, Horne MK. Clinical trial of induced hypothermia in comatose survivors of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Ann Emerg Med. 1997;30:146–153.
18. Nagao K, Hayashi N, Kanmatsuse M, et al. Cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation using emergency cardiopulmonary bypass, coronary reperfusion therapy and mild hypothermia in patients with cardiac arrest outside the hospital. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;36(3):776–783.
19. Hachimi-Idrissi S, Corne L, Ebinger G, et al. Mild hypothermia induced by a helmet device: a clinical feasibility study. Resuscitation. 2001;51:275–281.
20. Bernard SA, Gray TW, Buist MD, et al. Treatment of comatose survivors of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with induced hypothermia [see comment]. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(8):557–563.
21. Hypothermia after Cardiac Arrest Study Group. Mild therapeutic hypothermia to improve the neurologic outcome after cardiac arrest [see comment] [erratum appears in N Engl J Med. 2002;346(22):1756]. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(8):549–556.
22. Nolan JP, Morley PT, Vanden Hoek TL, et al. Therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest: an advisory statement by the Advanced Life Support Task Force of the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation. Circulation. 2003;108:118–121.
23. American Heart Association. 2005 American Heart Association guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care: part 7.5. Post resuscitation support. Circulation. 2005;112:IV-84–IV-88.
24. Al-Senani FM, Graffagnino C, Grotta JC, et al. A prospective, multicenter pilot study to evaluate the feasibility and safety of using the CoolGard System and Icy catheter following cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2004;62:143–150.
25. Busch M, Soreide E, Lossius HM, et al. Rapid implementation of therapeutic hypothermia in comatose out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survivors. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2006;50(10):1277–1283.
26. Oddo M, Schaller MD, Feihl F, et al. From evidence to clinical practice: effective implementation of therapeutic hypothermia to improve patient outcome after cardiac arrest [see comment]. Crit Care Med. 2006;34(7): 1865–1873.
27. Hovdenes J, Laake JH, Aaberge L, et al. Therapeutic hypothermia after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: experiences with patients treated with percutaneous coronary intervention and cardiogenic shock [see comment]. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2007;51(2):137–142.
28. Gaieski DF, Band RA, Abella BS, et al. Early goal-directed hemodynamic optimization combined with therapeutic hypothermia in comatose survivors of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2009;80:418–424.
29. Sunde K, Pytte M, Jacobsen D, et al. Implementation of a standardised treatment protocol for post resuscitation care after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2007;73(1):29–39.
30. Sagalyn E, Band RA, Gaieski DF, et al. Therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest in clinical practice: review and compilation of recent experiences. Crit Care Med. 2009;37S:S223–S226.
31. Arrich J, The European Resuscitation Council Hypothermia After Cardiac Arrest Registry Study Group. Clinical application of mild therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:1041–1047.
32. Nielsen N, Hovdenes J, Nilsson F, et al. Outcome, timing and adverse events in therapeutic hypothermia after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009;53:926–934.
33. Polderman K, Herold I. Therapeutic hypothermia and controlled normothermia in the intensive care unit: practical considerations, side effects, and cooling methods. Crit Care Med. 2009;37:1101–1120.
34. Caffrey SL, Willoughby PJ, Pepe PE, et al. Public use of automated external defibrillators. N Engl J Med. 2002; 347:1242–1247.
35. Abella BS, Alvarado JP, Myklebust H, et al. Quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation during in-hospital cardiac arrest. JAMA. 2005;293:305–310.
36. Bobrow BJ, Clark LL, Ewy GA, et al. Minimally interrupted cardiac resuscitation by emergency medical services for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. JAMA. 2008;299(10): 1158–1165.
37. Lurie KG, Idris A, Holcomb JB. Level 1 cardiac arrest centers: learning from the trauma surgeons [see comment]. Acad Emerg Med. 2005;12(1):79–80.
38. Carr BG, Schwab CW, Branas CC, et al. Outcomes related to the number and anatomic placement of gunshot wounds. J Trauma Inj Infect Crit Care. 2008;64(1): 197–202. Discussion 202–203.