1. Press I. Patient Satisfaction: Defining, Measuring, and Improving the Experience of Care. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2002.
2. Senge P. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. New York, NY: Doubleday; 2006.
3. Reichheld F. The Loyalty Effect: The Hidden Force Behind Growth, Profits, and Lasting Value. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Press; 1996.
4. Kador J. Effective Apology: Mending Fences, Building Trust. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler; 2009.
5. Mayer T. Putting it all together: education and the right tools establish a culture of service. Healthcare Exec. 2011, Jan-Feb:56-59.
6. Nietzsche F. Beyond Good and Evil. New York, NY: SoHo Books; 2008.
7. Mayer T. Drive service excellence to the next level. Healthcare Exec. 2010,Nov-Dec:54-56.
8. Hickson GB, Federspiel CF, Pichert JW, et al. Patient complaints and malpractice risk. JAMA.
9. Maslow A. Toward a Psychology of Being. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons; 1999.
10. Mayer T, Cates RJ. Leadership for Great Customer Service: Satisfied Patients, Satisfied Employees. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2004.
11. Mayer T. Dealing with the B Team Members: Holding the mirror up can have a positive effect on them and the organization. Healthcare Exec. 2010, Sept-Oct:52-54.
12. Studer Q. Results that Last. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons; 2008.
13. Mayer T. Leadership for great customer service: Getting the “Why” right before the “How.” Healthcare Exec. 2010, May/June:66-69.
14. Spinoza B. Ethics. Curley E, ed. New York, NY: Penguin; 1994.
15. Baker SK. Managing Patient Expectations: The Art of Finding and Keeping Loyal Patients. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 1998.
16. Lee F. If Disney Ran your Hospital: 9½ Things You Would Do Differently. Bozeman, MT: Second River Press; 2004.
17. Bujak JS. Inside the Physician Mind: Finding Common Ground with Doctors. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2008.
18. Baker SJ. Hourly rounding in the emergency department: how to accelerate results. J Emerg Nurs. 2012;38(1):69-72.
19. Fisher R, Ury W, Patton W. Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in. New York, NY: Penguin; 2004.
20. Carlzon J. Moments of Truth: New Strategies for Today's Customer-Driven Economy. New York, NY: Ballinger; 1987.
21. Taylor T. personal communication to the author (TM), September 1, 2012.
22. Aristotle. Nichomachean Ethics. Ross D, Trans. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2009.
23. Swayden KJ, Anderson KK, Connelly LM. Effect of sitting vs standing on perception of provider time at bedside: a pilot study. Patient Educ Couns
25. Mayer T. Beyond customer service: driving to the details, presented to the American College of Emergency Physicians ED Directors Academy, April 29, 2013.
26. Berry LL, Seltman KD. Management Lessons from Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World's Most Admired Service Organizations. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2008.
27. Studer Q. Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, worthwhile work, making a difference. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fire Starter Press; 2003.
28. Strauss R. Handling patient complaints, presented to the American College of Emergency Physicians Emergency Department Directors' Academy, April 30, 2013.
29. Studer Q. 4 best practices to improve emergency department results. Becker's Hospital Review, January 25, 2010.
30. Collins J. Good to Great: Why Some Companies make the Leap and Others Don't. New York, NY: Harper Business; 2001.
31. Collins J, Hansen MT. Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All. New York, NY: Harper Collins; 2011.
32. Likert R. New Patterns of Management. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1999.
33. Mayer T, Jensen K. Hardwiring Flow: Systems and Processes for Seamless Patient Care. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fires Starter Publishing; 2009.
34. Jensen K, Mayer T, Welch S, Haraden C. Leadership for Smooth Patient Flow: Improved, Outcomes, Improved Service, Improved Bottom Line. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2007.
35. Studer Q. Straight A Leadership: Alignment, Action, Accountability. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fires Starter Press; 2009.
37. Eisley L. The Star Thrower. San Diego, CA: Harcourt Brace; 1978.