1. Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington DC: The National Academies Press; 2001:35.
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, The Office of Minority Health. A strategic framework for improving racial/ethnic minority Health and eliminating racial/ethnic health disparities. Rockville, MD 20852. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=8843
. Accessed June 17, 2013.
4. Williams DR, Jackson PB. Social sources of racial disparities in health. Health Aff (Millwood)
5. Committee on the Review and Assessment of the NIH Strategic Research Plan and Budget to Reduce and Ultimately Eliminate Health Disparities. Health disparities: concepts, measurements, and understanding. In: Thomson GE, Mitchell F, Williams MB, eds. Examining the Health Disparities Research Plan of the National Institutes of Health: Unfinished Business. Board on Health Sciences Policy, Institute of Medicine of The National Academies, Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2006:21-33.
6. Williams DR, Mohammed SA. Discrimination and racial disparities in health: evidence and needed research. J Behav Med
8. Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR, eds. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington DC, The National Academies Press; 2003.
9. Richardson LD, Irvin CB, Tamayo-Sarver JH. Racial and ethnic disparities in the clinical practice of emergency medicine. Acad Emerg Med.
10. Society for Academic Emergency Medicine Consensus Conference-Equity Work Group, June 1, 2011, Chicago.
11. LaVeist TA, Nickerson KJ, Bowie JV. Attitudes about racism, medical mistrust, and satisfaction with care among African American and white cardiac patients. Med Care Res Rev. 2000;57(suppl):146-161.
12. Dovidio JF, Kawakami K, Gaertner SL. Implicit and explicit prejudice and interracial interaction. J Pers Soc Psychol
13. Balsa A, McGuire TG. Prejudice, clinical uncertainty and stereotyping as sources of health care disparities. J Health Econ
14. Rand CS, Butz AM, Kolodner K, Huss K, Eggleston P, Malveaux F. Emergency department visits by urban African American children with asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000;105(1 pt 1):83-90.
15. Strakowski SM, Lonczak HS, Sax KW, et al. The effects of race on diagnosis and disposition from a psychiatric emergency service. J Clin Psychiatry
16. Todd KH, Samaroo N, Hoffman JR. Ethnicity as a risk factor for inadequate emergency department analgesia. JAMA
17. Tamayo-Sarver JH, Hinze SH, Cydulka RK, Baker DW. Racial/ethnic disparities in analgesic prescribing in the emergency department. Am J Public Health. 2003 Dec;93(12):2067-2073.
18. Lowe RA, Chhaya S, Nasci K, et al. Effect of ethnicity on denial of authorization for emergency department care by managed care gatekeepers. Acad Emerg Med
19. Harris B, Hwang U, Lee WS, Richardson LD. Disparities in use of computed tomography for patients presenting with headache. Am J Emerg Med. 2009 Mar;27(3):333-336.
20. Pezzin LE, Keyl PM, Green GB. Disparities in the emergency department evaluation of chest pain patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2007 Feb;14(2):149-156.
21. Cooper-Patrick L, Gallo JJ, Gonzales JJ, et al. Race, gender, and partnership in the patient-physician relationship. JAMA
22. Van Ryn M. Research on the provider contribution to race/ethnicity disparities in medical care. Med Care. 2002;40(1 suppl):I140-I151.
23. Scott CJ. Ethnicity, culture, and the delivery of health-care services. In: Bernstein E, Bernstein J, eds. Case Studies in Emergency Medicine and the Health of the Public. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett; 2009:129-151.
24. Richardson LD. Patients' rights and professional responsibilities: the moral case for cultural competence. Mt Sinai J Med
25. Galanti G. Caring for Patients From Different Cultures. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press;1997:12-14, 26-28.
26. Broderick J, Brott T, Kothari R, et al. The Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Stroke Study: preliminary first-ever and total incidence rates of stroke among blacks. Stroke
27. Yusuf S, Reddy S, Ôunpuu S, Anand S. Global burden of cardiovascular diseases: Part II: variations in cardiovascular disease by specific ethnic groups and geographic regions and prevention strategies, Circulation.
28. Anand SS, Yusuf S, Vuksan V, et al. Differences in risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease between ethnic groups in Canada: the study of health assessment and risk in ethnic groups (SHARE). Lancet.
29. ALLHAT Officers and Coordinators for the ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major outcomes in moderately hypercholesterolemic, hypertensive patients randomized to ravastatin vs usual care: the Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT-LLT). JAMA. 2002 Dec 18;288(23):2998-3007.
30. Crane JA. Patient comprehension of doctor-patient communication on discharge from the emergency department. J Emerg Med
31. Carrasquillo O, Orav EJ, Brennan TA, Burstin HR. Impact of language barriers on patient satisfaction in an emergency department. J Gen Intern Med. 1999;14;82-87.
32. Baker DW, Parker RM, Williams MV, Coates WC, Pitkin K. Use and effectiveness of interpreters in an emergency department. JAMA
33. Kingston AM, Morien M, Hinrichs SH. Bioterrorism preparedness: the challenge of disparate populations. In: Satcher D, Pamies RJ, eds. Multicultural Medicine and Health Disparities. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006.
34. Betancourt JR, Green AR, Carrillo JE, Ananeh-Firempong O. Defining cultural competence: a practical framework for addressing racial/ethnic disparities in health and health care. Public Health Rep
35. Smedley BD, Stith AY, Colburn L, Evans CH. The Right Thing to Do, The Smart Thing to Do: Enhancing Diversity in Health Professions. Wahington DC: National Academy Press; 2001:9-12.
37. Pamies J, Hill GC, Watkins L, Jr, McNamee MJ, Colburn L. Diversity and the health-care workforce. In: Satcher D, Pamies RJ, eds. Multicultural Medicine and Health Disparities. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2006:405-414.
38. Niska R, Bhuiya F, Xu J. National hospital ambulatory medical care survey: 2007 emergency department summary. National Health Statistics Reports; No 26. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics; 2010.