1. Hirsh J, Hoak J. Management of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. A statement for healthcare professionals. Council on Thrombosis (in consultation with the Council on Cardiovascular Radiology), American Heart Association. Circulation. 1996;93:2212.
2. Heit JA, Silverstien MD, Mohr DN, et al. Risk factors for deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a population-based, case-controlled study. Arch Int Med. 2000;160:810–815.
3. Sandler DA, Martin JF. Autopsy proven pulmonary embolism in hospital patients: are we detecting enough deep vein thrombosis? J R Soc Med. 1989;82:203.
4. Courtney DM, Sasser H, Pincus B, et al. Pulseless electrical activity with witnesses arrest as a predictor of sudden death from massive pulmonary embolism in outpatients. Resuscitation. 2001;49:265.
5. Stein PD, Saltzman HA, Weg JG. Clinical characteristics of patients with acute pulmonary embolism. Am J Cardiol. 1991;68:1723.
6. Stein PD, Terrin ML, Hales CA, et al. Clinical, laboratory, roentgenographic and electrocardiographic findings in patients with acute pulmonary embolism and no pre-existing cardiac or pulmonary disease. Chest. 1991;100:598.
7. Kline JA, Nelson RD, Jackson RE, et al. Criteria for the safe use of d-dimer testing in emergency department patients with suspected pulmonary embolism: a multicenter Untied States study. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39:144.
8. Kline JA, Johns KL, Coluciello SA, et al. New diagnostic tests for pulmonary embolism. Ann Emerg Med. 2000;35:168.
9. Kearon C, Ginsberg JS, Douketis J, et al. An evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2006;144:812.
10. Stein PD, Hull RD, Patel KC, et al. D-dimer for the exclusion of acute venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:589.
11. Value of the ventilation/perfusion scan in acute pulmonary embolism. Results of the prospective investigation of pulmonary embolism diagnosis (PIOPED). The PIOPED Investigators. JAMA. 1990;263:2753.
12. Kim KI, Muller NL, Mayo JR. Clinically suspected pulmonary embolism: utility of spiral CT. Radiology. 1999;210:693.
13. Stein PD, Fowler SE, Goodman LR, et al. Multidetector computed tomography for acute pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:2317.
14. Richman PB, Courtney DM, Wood J, et al. Chest CT angiography (CTA) to rule out pulmonary embolism (PE) frequently reveals clinically significant ancillary findings—a multi-center study of 1025 emergency department patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2003;10:564.
15. Pabinger A, Grafenhofer H. Thrombosis during pregnancy: risk factors, diagnosis and treatment. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb. 2002;32:322–323.
16. Kline JA, Williams GW, Hernandez-Nino J. D-dimer concentrations in normal pregnancy: new diagnostic thresholds are needed. Clin Chem. 2005;51:825–829.
17. Chan W-S, Ginsberg JS. Diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in pregnancy. Thromb Res. 2002;107:85–91.
18. Mathews S. Imaging pulmonary embolism in pregnancy: what is the most appropriate imaging protocol? Br J Radiol. 2006;79:441–444.
19. Winer-Muram HT, Boone JM, Brown HL, et al. Pulmonary embolism in pregnant patients: fetal radiation dose with helical CT. Radiology. 2002;224:487–490.
20. Groves AM, Yates SJ, Win T, et al. CT pulmonary angiography versus ventilation–perfusion scintigraphy in pregnancy: implications from a UK survey of doctors' knowledge of radiation exposure. Radiology. 2006;240:765–770.
21. Horlander KT, Mannino DM, Leeper KV. Pulmonary embolism mortality in the United States, 1979–1998: an analysis using multiple-cause mortality data. Arch Intern Med. 2003;163:1711.
22. Kline JA, Mitchell AM, Kabrhel C, et al. Clinical criteria to prevent unnecessary diagnostic testing in emergency department patients with suspected pulmonary embolism. J Thromb Haemost. 2004;2:1247–1255.
23. Kline JA, Courtney DM, Kabrhel CL, et al. Prospective multicenter evaluation of the pulmonary embolism rule-out criteria. J Thromb Haemost. 2006;6:772–780.
24. Lessler AL, Isserman JA, Agarwal R, et al. Testing low-risk patients for suspected pulmonary embolism: a decision analysis. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;55(4):316–326.e1. Epub 2010 Jan 12.
25. Kucher N, Goldhaber SZ. Management of massive pulmonary embolism. Circulation. 2005;112:e28.
26. Kakkar VV, Hoppenstead DA, Fareed J, et al. Randomized trial of different regimens of heparins and in vivo thrombin
generation in acute deep vein thrombosis. Blood
27. Buller HR, Agnelli G, Hull RD, et al. Antithrombotic therapy for venous thromboembolic disease: the Seventh ACCP Conference on Antithrombotic and Thrombolytic Therapy. Chest. 2004;126:401s.
28. Aklog L, Williams CS, Byrne JG, et al. Acute pulmonary embolectomy: a contemporary approach. Circulation. 2002;105:1416–1419.