1. Spinoza B. Ethics. Curley E, ed. New York, NY: Penguin; 1994.
2. Mayer T. Leadership for great customer service: getting the “why” right before the “how.” Healthcare Executive. 2010 May/June:66-69.
3. Jensen K, Mayer T, Welch S, Haraden C. Leadership for Smooth Patient Flow: Improved, Outcomes, Improved Service, Improved Bottomline. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2007.
4. Studer Q. Straight A Leadership: Alignment, Action, Accountability. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fires Starter Press; 2009.
6. Nietzsche F. Beyond Good and Evil. New York, NY: SoHo Books; 2008.
7. Studer Q. Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fire Starter Press; 2003.
8. Kaplan RS, Norton DP. The balanced scorecard: measures that drive performance. Harv Bus Rev. 1992;Jan-Feb:71-79.
9. Mayer T. Drive service excellence to the next level. Healthc Exec. 2010 Nov-Dec; 25(6):54-56.
10. Bracken DW, Dalton MA, Jako RA, McCauley CD, Pollman VA. Should 360-Degree Feedback be Used Only for Developmental Purposes? Greensboro, NC: Center for Creative Leadership; 1997.
11. Mayer T. Dealing with the B team members: holding the mirror up can have a positive effect on them and the organization. Healthc Exec. 2010 Sept-Oct:52-54.
12. Mayer T. Putting it all together: education and the right tools establish a culture of service. Healthc Exec. 2011 Jan-Feb:56-59.
13. Collins J, Hansen MT. Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck—Why Some Thrive Despite Them All. New York, NY: Harper Collins; 2011.
14. Studer Q. Results that Last. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons; 2008.
15. Kador J. Effective Apology: Mending Fences, Building Trust. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler; 2009.
16. Connellan T. Inside the Magic Kingdom: 7 Keys to Disney's Success. New York, NY: Bard Press; 1997.
17. Mayer T, Cates RJ. Leadership for Great Customer Service: Satisfied Patients, Satisfied Employees. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press; 2004.
18. Mayer T. Teams and Teamwork. Dallas, TX: American College of Emergency Physicians Emergency Department Directors' Academy; May 1, 2012.
19. Studer Q. 4 best practices to improve emergency department results. Becker's Hosp Rev. January 25, 2010.
20. Mayer T, Jensen K. Hardwiring Flow: Systems and Processes for Seamless Patient Care. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fire Starter Publishing; 2009.
21. Studer Q, Robinson BC, Cook K. The HCAHPS Handbook: Hardwire Your Hospital for Pay-for-Performance Success. Gulf Breeze, FL: Fire Starter Publishing; 2009.